Wednesday, December 30, 2020

My Favorite Reads of 2020

I read some really good books in 2020.  In fact, I had starred around 20 books in my reading journal as being favorites.  However, looking back, I think I can narrow the list further.


The Saturday Night Supper Club (The Saturday Night Supper Club, #1)

Rachel is part owner and head chef of an upscale restaurant in Denver.  When a food critic writes a negative review and Rachel responds, in a weak moment, to a reporter, the restaurant is in danger of losing business.  What a great book!  It is full of deep characters, delicious food and an irresistible location.  See my full review here.






Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)


I had never read Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter.  It turned out to be one of my favorite reads of the year.  See my full review here.










The Fifth Avenue Story Society

Five people receive an invitation to come to a meeting of the Fifth Avenue Story Society.  They all choose to attend, but no one knows who has invited them or why.  Read my full review here.






On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft


I enjoyed this book on writing and tend to agree with King when he says, "If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others:  read a lot and write a lot.  There's no way around these two things that I'm aware of, no shortcut."  My full review is here.





84, Charing Cross Road


I loved this book of letters written from Helene Hanff to a bookshop and the shop employee's return letters.  It had been on my TBR for a long time.  I think I was avoiding it because I wasn't sure I would like to read a book written in letters.  Read my full review here. 





Fidelity: Five stories


This was my introduction to Wendell Berry.  I wasn't sure I would like his writing style.  I was wrong!  I really liked it and want to read more fiction by him.  Read my full review here.






Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)


I always enjoy Agatha Christie, but I particularly like this one.  I enjoy the exotic setting and the clever mystery.  My full review is here






No Good Tea Goes Unpunished (Seaside Café Mystery, #2)


I always enjoy spending time with Everly Swan in Charm, NC.  This time she is hosting a wedding reception on the beach outside of her tea shop.  Unfortunately, the groom is murdered.  My full review is here. 





Murder with Clotted Cream (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery, #5)


Daisy and her crew are giving a tea for a wealthy former actress and the cast of an upcoming play.  The host is found murdered.  The characters and their relationships with one another are what keep me coming back to this series.  My full review is here







Wicked Autumn (Max Tudor #1)


This was a new author and series to me.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to read more of the series in 2021. Wanda Batton-Smythe, the leader of the Women's Institute and bane to many in town, is found murder in the village hall during the Harvest Fayre.  Max assists in the investigation.  My full review is here





Collision of Lies


I enjoyed this slowly unfolding, page-turning, police procedural by a new to me author.  My full review is here.






God's Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine


I am still talking about this memoir written by a doctor during her time at the last alms house in the country.  My review is here






Have you read any of these books?  Are any your favorites?









10 comments:

  1. Great list of reads. I've read Death On the Nile and No Good Tea Goes Unpunished. Both are favorites. 🙂📚 I've been thinking of reading the Saturday Night Supper Club. Mmmm. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy! I enjoyed watching the characters in The Saturday Night Supper Club work through the difficulties created by things they said in the right way, but at the wrong time. Something we have all dealt with at one time or another.
    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! 84, Charing Cross Road is one of my lifetime favorites. And, now that you've read the book, you should watch the 1987 version of the movie with Anne Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins and Judi Dench. I may have to dig up my copy for the long weekend. It was as absorbing as the book. I love Bree Baker's entire series, and most of G.M. Malliet's. I liked the early books in the series more than the later ones. As Katie said, Saturday Night Supper Club jumps out at me. Thank you for your list, and the earlier reviews. And, Happy New Year, Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesa, You are not the first person to recommend the movie version of 84, Charing Cross Road. I need to watch it!

      Delete
  4. Nice list Gretchen! I love epistolary format! Two of my favs are Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Last Christmas in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I am not familiar with Last Christmas in Paris. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  5. I've read four on your list (On Writing, Death on the Nile, 84 Charing Cross Road, and Pollyanna). My favorite of those four is 84 Charing Cross Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 84, Charing Cross Road is such a good one and will stick with me for a long time. I hope to read at least one epistolary novel in 2021.

      Delete
  6. I have read 4 on your list (Death on the Nile, No Good Tea Goes Unpunished, Murder with Clotted Cream and Wicked Autumn) but only 1 of them in 2020.

    I really enjoy reading both the Seaside Cafe and Daisy's Tea Garden mystery series. It has been several years since I read a Max Tudor mystery, but they were all enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grace! Daisy's Tea Garden and the Seaside Cafe mysteries are two of my favorite series. I am looking forward to reading more Max Tudor in 2021.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete