Friday, October 30, 2020

October Reading Wrap-Up

 

In the month of October we saw a wide range of weather.  On the 9th we had a high of 80 degrees and on the 26th our high was 32 degrees.  We had some sunshine, lots of clouds, rain, sleet and snow.  We set a new record for the most snow in one day in October at 6.9".  I hope that November is sunnier and drier, but that it not likely.

However, the weather did supply some opportunity to read.  I read 8 books this month, from the following genres:

Cozy mystery: 4

Historical Fiction: 1

Poetry: 1

Christian Fiction: 2

Cozy Mystery:

Pulp Friction (Cider Shop Mystery #2) by Julie Anne Lindsey - Lovely setting of barn turned into cider shop.  Winnie hosts a wedding reception at the cider shop where the groom is murdered.  

Murder with Clotted Cream (Daisy's Tea Garden #5) by Karen Rose Smith - Daisy and her crew are giving a tea for a wealthy former actress and the cast of an upcoming play.  The host is found murdered.

Wicked Autumn (Max Tudor #1) by G. M. Malliet - Wanda Batton-Smythe, the leader of the Women's Institute and bane to many in town, is found murder in the village hall during the Harvest Fayre.  Max assists in the investigation.

Tide and Punishment (Seaside Mystery Cafe #3) by Bree Baker - Christmastime in Charm, NC.  Mayor is murdered and Aunt Fran is the main suspect.  (Review coming next week.)

Historical Fiction:

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - Letters from a preacher father to his son.  Takes place in 1950's Iowa.

Poetry:

Songs of Innocence & of Experience by William Blake - A book of poetry originally published as an illuminated book in 1789.  

Christian Fiction:

On a Coastal Breeze (Three Sisters Island #2) by Suzanne Woods Fisher - Maddie Grayson, the middle sister, is establishing her counseling.  When a new pastor comes to the island, she has to face some things from her past.

Back Home Again (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn #1) by Melody Carlson - After losing their father, three sisters work together to restore their childhood home.

DNF:  

I had one book that I decided not to finish and that was The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey.  I read about 65 pages and just wasn't connecting with the characters.

Ongoing:

A Philosophy of Education by Charlotte M. Mason.  - This is a re-read for me and I am reading it slowly.

Other things:

This month I shared my Commonplace Journal with a look inside and some thoughts on the practice of keeping this type of a journal.


Overall, a great reading month.  The cozy mysteries that I read were some of my favorites this year.

How was your reading in October?

This month I'm linking up with the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up hosted by Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction and Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight.


11 comments:

  1. Reading The Widows of Malabar Hill is like being thrown onto another planet, that's for sure, and that's not going to to be everyone's taste. I remember reading it and thinking, "Why on earth would women put up with this nonsense?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is like being thrown onto another planet. The setting and time period intrigued me, but I just wasn't connecting with the characters and my TBR is so long, I decided it just wasn't worth my time.

      Delete
    2. You've hit the nail on the head for me. If I don't connect with any of the characters, I just need to move on to the next book.

      Delete
  2. Such strange weather everywhere lately! 90's and then snow definitely wins for the biggest extremes, though!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole. It certainly was strange! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. A good variety of books. I've wanted to read Gilead - will have to get to it. Enjoy your month ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley! Gilead was a lovely, unique read. I would like to read some of her other books. Maybe next year. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. That's a nice selection of books. (And a confusing variation in weather! Lol) I hope November is a good month and you get your sunnier and dryer weather, Gretchen. x

    ReplyDelete