Sunday, January 1, 2023

2022 Reading Reflections

 I always love to look back on my year of reading and remember what books stood out to me.  If you have been around my blog for any amount of time, you may know that I am a mood reader.  I do have a list of books I might be interested in reading, but the minute you call it a list of books that have to be read, I no longer want to read them. In my wanderings, I discovered some new authors this year and some of them made it on to my favorite reads list.  

Favorite Reads of 2022:

The books are listed in the order I read them.

Sunrise









Sunrise (Sky King Ranch #1) by Susan May Warren

Susan May Warren excels at creating characters who are true heroes and the Alaska wilderness is stunning.


A Rogue's Company (Sparks & Bainbridge Mystery, #3)















Deep characters, witty dialogue and a great mystery.

A Trail of Lies (Jazz Ramsey #3)














A likeable main character who trains detection dogs as a hobby.  They always come in handy when she gets involved in a murder that needs solved.

The Enchanted April














This is the book that surprised me the most this year.  It was delightful.  I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

I Capture the Castle


Captivating writing, interesting characters and an engrossing story written in diary form.

The Sweet Life














I loved this hope-filled story of a mother and daughter learning to work together and appreciate one another. 

Nine Coaches Waiting














My first Mary Stewart.  An enthralling story that hooked me from the beginning.

A Sky Painted Gold














Of all the books I read in 2022, this one stands out the most.  It surprised me, it captivated me, it was fun, I didn't want it to end.  I think the cover was especially apropos because if I had to pick one word to describe the story it would be sparkly. 

Autumn by the Sea (Muir Harbor #1)














Melissa Tagg was a new author to me and has become a favorite.  I want to have these characters as friends and the setting is amazing.



A Christmas Candy Killing














Another new author and a new series.  A savvy sleuth, great supporting characters, a solid mystery and some Christmas spirit.

The Lost Melody














Beautifully written historical fiction with a little bit of mystery and a lot of atmosphere.


Reading goals:  My Goodreads goal this year was 100 books and I fell a little short with 97 read.  This is the first year in a while I read under 100 books and that was okay with me.  I don't like the pressure of feeling like I need to meet a goal, so I usually pick a number that I know I will be able to meet.   

I also completed the two challenges I participated in Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks and Cruisin Thru the Cozies.  

Looking ahead to 2023:  I will probably set my Goodreads goal at 95 for next year.   

As far as challenges, I am again participating in Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks and Cruisin Thru the Cozies. 

I will leave you with quotes from the January chapter in Stillmeadow Calendar by Gladys Taber:

"There is, I have found, at least one good or lovely thing in every single day.  Everyone has sorrow, endures difficult times, but loveliness abides if we look for it."

"What the new year will bring, we cannot know.  I think of the year that has been folded away in time.  There has been much good in it, although some sorrow. But there are always, in any year, many lovely memories, and I shall cherish them.  Life is not, for most of us, a pageant of splendor but is made up of many small things, rather like an old-fashioned piecework quilt."





18 comments:

  1. A Rogue's Company sounds like a read I would like, well, they all sound like a read I would like! haha. I love the quotes. Happy New Year! Katies Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I often feel that way when I read your blog 🙂.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed a Christmas Candy Killing. It looks like you read many good books. I hope 2023 is a good one for you too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great reading year - that's a lot! An interesting array of titles & genres. I'll pick the Alaska novel -- as outdoorsy lit with great scenery is hard to beat. Good luck with your reading goals in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link you sent me worked well, so I have thrown away my old bookmark and added this one. Thank you! I loved the quotes. Perfect as we start out the new month and new year. I have put Taber's book on my Thriftbooks wish list. Even the used copies are quite expensive. Nice list of your favorites of the year. I enjoyed reading your perspective on TBR lists which I quite understand. Happy New Year, Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - I'm so glad the link worked! I had no idea the Gladys Taber books were expensive. I have picked up my copies at used book sales and thrift stores. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. This is an amazing list Gretchen! So fun to look back on our favorites! Happy reading in 2023! 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to add my name to anonymous above! ~Carol @ Reading Ladies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! It is one of my favorites parts of the year.

      Delete
  7. Great list! I still need to read Melissa Tagg's series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I really liked Melissa Tagg's series!

      Delete
  8. Awesome list of reads and many I want to add to my want list, like Warren. Congrats on reading your first Mary Stewart. Nine Coaches Waiting was a good introduction to her writing. Hope you enjoy exploring more of her books over the coming years. Love her books, especially the Merlin trilogy. Sounds like you had a great reading year. ~Cheers to 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Robin by the way. Forgot to sign in

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Robin! I do hope to read more Mary Stewart, I really enjoyed her writing.

      Delete
  9. I was happy to see A Rogue's Company in your list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was considering adding both A Rogue's Company and The Unkept Woman, but decided to add just one. It was a hard decision.

      Delete