Friday, June 10, 2022

Book Review: Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart

Nine Coaches WaitingNine Coaches Waiting. Mary Stewart. Hodder & Stoughton (2011) (First Published 1958). 455 pages. Genre:  Romantic Suspense, Gothic.

First Line: "I was thankful that nobody was there to meet me at the airport."

Summary: Linda Martin has taken a job as governess for orphaned, young, Phillipe, Comte de Valmy.  She has been living in England, but was raised in France.  Madame de Valmy has made it clear that she wants an English girl as governess who will be able to teach Philippe English.  Because of this, Linda hides the fact that she speaks French fluently.  Philippe takes an immediate liking to Miss Martin and the rest of the family is relieved to have someone looking after him.  It is important that he is well looked after since, upon the death of his parents, he became heir to the de Valmy estate.  As Linda gets to know the family, she feels that something isn't quite right.  When Philippe narrowly misses death in two different accidents, Linda begins to wonder whether he is safe.  As rumors circulate, Linda doesn't know who to believe.  What she knows for certain is she must keep Phillipe safe.

My thoughts:  Linda Martin is a very likeable heroine.  She is young, but wise for her years.  She spent seven years in an orphanage and learned how to take care of herself.  She doesn't expect things to be handed to her and is very willing to accept her place in life as a servant.  She has a soft spot for Phillipe as he has also been orphaned recently.  

After the death of his parents, Phillipe has been living with his Uncle Leon de Valmy and Aunt Heloise at Chateau Valmy.  The chateau belonged to Phillipe's father, Etienne.  However, Leon and Heloise have been managing it while Etienne and his family lived in Paris.  Leon's son, Raoul, has been attempting to manage Leon's property, Bellevigne. Unfortunately, Leon has let many things go and Raoul has his hands full trying to keep the place up.  After an automobile accident, Leon was confined to a wheelchair.  He is an intimidating man.  Linda is afraid of him.  On the surface he seems to like Linda, but she doesn't trust him.  Heloise is kind, but can be cold.  She is unwell and needs pills to help her feel normal.  Linda is never quite sure what to think of her. 

There are two potential suitors in Linda's life.  However, she never has any doubt which one she prefers.  There are some very fun, Cinderella-like scenes in the story.  The de Valmy family traditionally holds a dance and decided to go ahead with it even though the death of Etienne and his wife is very recent.  Madame and Monsieur de Valmy invite Linda to attend.  She has nothing suitable to wear, but has saved some money and is able to go to the little town and buy some fabric.  Fortunately, she has sewing skills and makes a beautiful dress.  

As the story progresses the suspense really picks up.  Linda is warned that Phillipe's life is in danger.  She is not sure whether to believe it or not, but decides that she doesn't want to take any chances with Phillipe's life.  The two of them escape in the middle of the night and flee through the woods.  They find some shelter for the night, only to be nearly discovered.  They are hungry, tired, dirty and don't know who to trust. 

Mary Stewart is such a great writer.  I was enthralled through the entire story.  Her descriptions of the French countryside made me feel like I was there.  The night scenes are especially memorable.  I also enjoyed all the literary references.  Each chapter begins with a quote from literature, as well as other references throughout the story.  

I am so glad I finally got around to reading this author and I look forward to discovering other great books by her. 

Quotes:

"And at the edge of the pavement there were the flowers; tubs of tulips and freesias and the scarlet globes of ranunculus; box after box of polyanthus, vivid-eyed; daffodils, sharply yellow; the deep drowned-purple of pansies; irises with crown and fall of white and ivory and blue and deeper blue ... oh, beautiful!"

"I found Buchan, too, and Conan Doyle, and a host of forgotten or never-known books that, gratefully, I devoured - forcing myself to ignore that irrational feeling drilled into me in the seven years at the Home that Reading was a Waste of Time."

"'He's as finicky as a five-times-table, and about as lively."

"An owl called below me, down in the woods; called again.  Its muted melancholy found too ready an echo in me.  I felt tired and depressed."

 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my word. Nine Coaches Waiting! That is such a good book. My favorite by Mary Stewart is This Rough Magic! So good. Of course, Airs Above the Ground is amazing. So is, Wildfire At Midnight. Now I need to read her books again. Great review. I'm glad you liked it! Katies Cottage Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you mentioned your favorites! I can't wait to read more Mary Stewart.

      Delete
  2. Great review. I read several Mary Stewart books as a teenager, but would love to get back to them.I was thinking about recommending this for my book club, but then I saw it listed as Gothic. I looked up Gothic and found that there is good reason for my confusion. It can refer to architecture and various other things including fear of the supernatural rather than actual supernatural. I think of it with its current associations with young people with dark clothes and makeup dabbling in the occult. Can you clarify for me what I could expect in this book. As a book published in 1958, I wouldn't expect it to be offensive to those who don't read books dealing with the occult. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Linda. There are no occult references in the book at all. There really isn't even any reference to the supernatural. I think what gives it a Gothic feel is Linda's uncertainty about Leon. He seems to appear in a room without her hearing him coming even though he is in a wheelchair. He says one thing, but she thinks his motives are something different. Also there are several scenes that take place outside in the dark. There is lots of mist and night noises. I think those scenes may hint at the supernatural just because the reader is not sure what is out there, but that is never suggested. I was not at all offended by the book and I don't read books dealing with the occult. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Gretchen, that helps so much. You addressed my concerns and I don't think I or the members of my group would have any problem with this book. I'm going to add it to our suggestion list.

      Delete