Thursday, September 1, 2022

August Reading Wrap-Up

 



One August afternoon I was sitting on my back deck when I heard a ruckus overhead.  I looked up and saw a large hawk sitting in the oak tree.  When I first looked up, he looked much larger than he does in the above picture.  He had puffed his feathers out.  I soon discovered why.  There was a squirrel approaching him, running along the branch he is sitting on.  I was sure I was about to witness a hawk getting his lunch, but the squirrel approached him timidly and then turned around and ran back the way he had come.  The hawk barely looked at him.  He must have already had his lunch.  This is a Red-tailed Hawk.  They are 19 - 25 inches and have a wingspan up to 4 feet.  It was amazing to sit on my deck and watch him.

As far as reading goes, I read 8 books in August.  Here's the breakdown:

Mystery: 5

Fiction: 3

Click on the link to see my review.

Mystery:

The Woman in the Library









The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill


The Bangalore Detectives Club: A Novel





















Fiction:

Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)



















That is all for me.  I hope you all had a great month of reading in August!

~ Gretchen






I am linking up with The Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up hosted by Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction and Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight. 

15 comments:

  1. You and I have similar tastes in reading. 😊 Great list of books. We have a hawk who shows up at our house periodically. I'm not crazy about him, but Rick likes him. He hasn't been around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawks are a bit intimidating. Amazing, but a little frightening at the same time.

      Delete
  2. A very good reading month, but then you knew I'd say that with Chained, The Bangalore Detectives Club, The Woman in the Library, and The Unkept Woman amongst your read books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that must have been an amazing scene to witness. That squirrel was very brave—and very lucky! Glad you had a good reading month, and wishing you lots more good books (and a few hawk sightings) in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew! It was amazing. I couldn't believe that squirrel got away with his life.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good selection of books.

    I also had an interesting encounter with a red-tailed hawk this summer. I was actually on my way to the library with my husband. We were walking near bushes and trees, and heard this huge bird commotion. I know what this usually means, so we looked up, and yes there was this young red-tailed hawk in the tree.
    He must have been shortly from the nest, because he was completely clueless. To the point that red-winged black birds kept flying around him to chase him away, they even bombed into him, but the thing didn't move! He would just ignore them. I actually wonder if he was deaf. Not blind, because there as also a squirrel around and he kept looking at it. We stayed a long time looking at it, and he was till there on our way back!
    And the red-winged black birds gave up and left!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! He does seem to be completely clueless. I have also seen crows and red-winged black birds chase hawks. They are so interesting to watch.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one brave squirrel.
    Have a great September reading month.

    Sorry the anonymous comment is mine. You can just delete it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that squirrel was brave or not very smart 😉. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Looks like some good books! I'm always cautious of hawks because I have little dogs. But I never let them out in the yard without me being there. The other day one of mine was 3 feet away from a dove on the ground and they didn't notice it at first. When they did, it was like they were shocked and didn't move for a second. The minute my dog did, the bird flew off. Lol. Hope you have a good September!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, we had a little dog too and I was always wary of hawks and eagles. That is funny about the dove! Have a good September! ~ Gretchen

      Delete
  8. As you can probably tell by all my comments coming in at once, I am still not getting notices. It's OK as checking in periodically works too. I am going to try subscribing again and see if that makes a difference. I enjoy reading your posts. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I have heard other blogs are having the same problem. I am not sure how to remedy it. I appreciate you reading my posts 🙂.

      Delete