Monday, August 22, 2022

Book Review: Pagan Spring by G. M. Malliet

 


Pagan Spring (Max Tudor #3). G. M. Malliet. 304 pages. Minotaur Books (2013). Genre:  Mystery.

First Line: "Thursday, March 22.  The vernal equinox had come and gone, and Easter would soon be upon them."

Summary:  With Easter approaching, Reverend Max Tudor has begun working on his Easter sermon.  His relationship with Awena Owen is flourishing.  He can't imagine being happier in life than he is now.  Awena is out of town, but Max is looking forward to a dinner party hosted by some good friends that will include some newcomers to town. In the early morning hours after the party, one of the guests is found dead.  He appears to have almost made it to bed before he collapsed.  There are no immediate signs of foul play, but as the body is examined closer something seems amiss.  Once again Max is called upon to use his MI-5 training to help discover a murderer. 

My thoughts: This series has several elements that make for a good mystery series.  The main character is unique in that he was previously an MI5 agent, but has become a vicar.  It takes place in an English village.  The village is peopled with charming and eccentric residents.  I enjoy the way the series follows the seasons.  The author gives a real feel for the season by making note of the changing landscape and following the church calendar. 

The mystery this time was unique.  There was really only one main suspect.  However, there were lots of small clues along the way that needed to be recognized and figured out.  Another unique aspect was that after the mystery was solved, there was a lot of discussion about what had happened and why.  

I am not sure how I feel about Max's relationship with Awena.  It feels a bit forced and unrealistic.  We are told that Max is very happy in the relationship, but we aren't shown.  Some of the choices he is making and things he says are contradictory.  This left me feeling unsure about the main character.  

Overall I have mixed feelings about this series.  After reading the previous book, I decided not to continue with the series.  But, later decided I would give it another try.  As it stands now, I am not sure if I will go on with the series.  If the series sounds intriguing to you, I would encourage you to give it a try.  There are definitely elements to like here and your opinion may be different from mine. 

Quotes:

"The slice of Nether Monkslip in his view was of a classic village whose roots predated recorded history, a place that had survived centuries of wars and feuds and conspiracies largely because it had managed to go unnoticed."

"She was one of those lucky people born without filters; for the most part, she simply didn't care what others thought."

"But Max was genuinely fascinated by people and had a natural ability to respect differences.  In his MI5 days, this was a much-needed quality, when he was forced into forming friendships with some of the world's worst thieves and tyrants."

6 comments:

  1. I love the cover and thought it sounded interesting. With your "meh" feel I think I will skip it. Too many great books out there to be bothered with ones that we aren't sure about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! I agree with you - too many great books to spend time on ones we aren't sure about.

      Delete
  2. I read the first book in another series of hers and didn't really care for it. I have the first book of this series on my TBR shelves but haven't been in any hurry to pick it up. On the other hand, I've read a standalone by Malliet-- Weycombe I think-- and really liked it, and I really enjoyed her recent Augusta Hawke. I've often found that as far as authors who write multiple series go, I seldom like everything they write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point, Cathy. This series has so much potential I have to imagine that her writing does as well. I like the sound of Augusta Hawke and may pick that up at some point.

      Delete
  3. Hmm. I like the setup--Vicar with an MI-5 background. Up until that point you had me, but it doesn't sound like the characters are done well. I think I'll pass on it. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete