Thursday, August 4, 2022

Book Review: The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill

The Woman in the LibraryThe Woman in the Library. Sulari Gentill. Poisoned Pen Press (2022). 288 pages. Genre: Mystery.

First Line: "Writing in the Boston Public Library had been a mistake."

Summary:  Freddie Kincaid is trying to get some writing done.  She finds herself distracted by the beauty of the Boston Public Library. Then she finds herself observing the people around her.  She begins naming them and wondering how she can fit them into her current story.  After an awkward moment when she notices one of the men staring at her, introductions are finally made.  She and the three people closest to her are getting to know one another when a scream pierces the relative quiet of the library.  

When it is discovered that a woman was murdered in the library, the four acquaintances find a bond in the fact that they were together in the library when the death occurred.  As they spend more time together, friendships are formed, but so are suspicions. 

My thoughts:  This is a unique story told in a unique way.   I found it hard to put down as the twists and turns make for a suspenseful and exciting read.

Freddie is an Australian living in Boston short-term.  She won the Sinclair Scholarship which gives writers a place to stay while writing a book.  The other people she met at the Boston Public Library are there for various reasons.  One is a writer and two are attending college.  The four of them bond over trying to figure out what happened in the library that day. Their concern for one another is what often fuels their need to get together.  There is also some romance that brews between the characters.  Unfortunately, I didn't really connect with any of the characters.  Fortunately, the story is plot-driven and that kept me turning pages.

As far as the uniqueness of the story, I will just say that it is a story within a story.  Part of the story is told in letters, but not all of it.  

The mystery was interesting.  I had a pretty good idea who the killer was early on, but the details of the crime and reasons for it were a mystery to me.  There were a couple of times in the story where I started to think things were sounding a little odd, only to turn the page and find out I was right.  The author did a good job of leading the reader to a conclusion without spelling it out.  

The book contains a bit more language than I prefer in my mysteries as well as some sexual content.  The sexual content is kept to a minimum and is mostly closed door, but is still more than you would find in a cozy mystery for example.  

The strength of this book was it's uniqueness.  The story is told in such a way as to reveal the truth in layers.  There were times when I was completely confused, but it wasn't long before things became more clear.  If you enjoy stories within stories or twisty mysteries, I think you will enjoy this one.

Quotes:

"Deep down I know this is about Cain, but one should maintain one's dignity even in conversations with oneself."

"'Words have meaning.  I suppose who the author is, what he's done might change that meaning.'  'Isn't meaning more to do with the reader?'  'No...a story is about leading a reader to meaning.  The revelation is theirs, but we show them the way.  I suppose the morality of the writer influences whether you can trust what they are showing you.'"




4 comments:

  1. Yes, this is definitely a book that focuses on form-- the plot and how the story unfolds-- rather than the characters. I was in the perfect mood for the book when I read it. and I'm glad to see that you liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you might need to be in the right mood to enjoy this one. It was a fun read.

      Delete
  2. Interesting review about a book that has some different features. With so many books out there, I'm not sure this one would be the right one for me. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete