Thursday, February 24, 2022

Book Review: Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson

Own Your Life: How to Grow a Legacy of Faith, Love, and Spiritual InfluenceOwn Your Life: Living with deep intention, bold faith and generous love. Sally Clarkson. Tyndale (2015). 224 pages. Genre:  Non-fiction.

First Lines:  "'What will be the legacy of your life? What story will the days of your life tell? Will you invest your life for eternity, or spend it, wasting the days on things that do not matter, on issues that will quickly fade away?'"

Summary:  In our fast-paced, overwrought world, it can be easy to lose sight of our purpose.  Sally Clarkson encourages the reader to examine her life in light of what really matters.  She begins by reminding us that our lives matter and we are leaving a legacy to those who come after us.  Living a life full of meaning takes intention.  In each chapter, Sally shares examples from her own life along with steps you can take to begin owning your part of the life you have been given.

My thoughts:  I have enjoyed Sally Clarkson's writing for many years.  She has a gift for encouraging women wherever they are in life.  I always appreciate the way Sally shares examples from her own life that help the reader understand that she has struggled and continues to struggle.  I find it encouraging when I read a book and am able to say, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way or has gone through this." I often find myself encouraged in this way through Sally's writing.

In this book she walks the reader through the steps she took when she began asking herself what the purpose of her life was.  She reminds us that we were created for a purpose.  Each of us has been given a unique life and the choices that we make matter.

"The grid through which I had lived my life was based on my understanding that in order to live a flourishing life of influence, I had to own my life - to take responsibility for my choices, attitude, will and actions, knowing they would all have consequences for eternity."

At the end of each chapter is a section titled "Own Your Part". This contains things to think about or actions to take to put the subject of that chapter to work in your life. 

As things in our world continue to feel out of our control and uncertain, this book is a good reminder that we can be in control of some things in our lives.  We can choose to live with intention.  This book encouraged my faith and my determination to live a meaningful life. 

4 comments:

  1. It sounds edifying and encouraging. Thanks for sharing.🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by this author, but this sounds like a good book for these times. There is so much we don't have control over, but you are right we do have some things we can control. So we need to seek intentionally to do good. Then we can trust God who is in control to guide us through these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete