Saturday, January 8, 2022

The Sunday Salon & Reading Goals 2022

 The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

The first part of January is typically the coldest part of the year.  This year is no exception.  We have had a stretch of weather with a couple of days of single digit highs followed by a couple of days of highs in the 20's, then back to the single digits again.  The days in the 20's have brought snow.  I try to get outside for a walk every day no matter the weather.  On single digit days, I bundle up and keep my walk short.  Just getting the outside air in my lungs and the sun on my face makes such a difference in my mood.  

Here's what I have been up to this week:

Seeing ~ 
*Snow glittering in the sunlight
*Animal tracks in the snow
*Beautiful sunsets

Smelling ~ 
*Coffee in the morning
*Apple Cinnamon muffins

In the kitchen ~  
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Salisbury Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Cooked Carrots


What I've been reading ~

Reserved for Murder (Booklover's B&B Mysteries, #2)

The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health

Reading Goals for 2022

My main goal for 2022 is to read what I feel like reading when I feel like reading it.   I have participated in reading challenges for several years and really enjoyed them, but in 2021 they just started to feel like too much work and caused me to read something for the challenge, rather than what I wanted to read.  So, I have cut back on the challenges I am participating in.  I do keep TBR lists in the notes app on my phone, but I don't consider these lists of books I must read, rather lists of books I might want to read if I can't think of anything else I want to read.  

I did set a Goodreads goal of 100 books, down from my goal of 104 in 2021.  I will also continue to read books from series I enjoy.  

I hope you all have had a good week!

~ Gretchen

32 comments:

  1. Go You! Happy Reading!πŸ“šπŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand this completely! I am cutting way back on ARC so I can enjoy more books that are already on my TBR lists...and so I can enjoy some reading challenges. Have a great weekend, oh, by the way, can't wait to hear what you think of the book about Anthony Fauci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! Yep, sometimes cutting back is the way to go. The Anthony Fauci book is very dense with lots of citations - the introduction had 70 citations! I will probably not read it cover to cover, so won't review it. What I have read has been quite interesting.

      Delete
  3. I share your reading goal for 2022 - "read what I feel like reading when I feel like reading it." Why put yourself in a box of things to read ahead of time? Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have exactly captured why I have never done any reading challenges or other types of blog events that dictate what to read (or watch). I feel exhausted just thinking about them.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Mae. I have usually enjoyed reading challenges, but near the end of 2021 I began to feel just like you described - exhausted thinking about them.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like some good reading and yummy eating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 4 challenges for the year which is enough. Back in the day I used to do dozens of challenges and it was way too much. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard more readers say they are not setting reading goals this year (except maybe for Goodreads) and indicate that reading what they want to read is the goal! Maybe 2020 and 2021 have been challenging enough! Who wants to make reading a challenge also?! Honestly, I find no pleasure in reading a book simply because it has a blue cover! Happy reading Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be right about 2020 and 2021 being challenging enough contributing to the feeling of not wanting to set reading goals. Have a great week Carol!

      Delete
  8. I use the challenges to focus my reading a bit, to purposefully choose good books over what I might just find at my house or in my library. I try not to do too many where I feel overwhelmed, though.

    And I admire how you go out for a walk every day. We did that in 2020, but we slacked off in 2021. I hope to get back into the habit of walking at least a few times a week in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I do see how challenges can focus your reading and help you choose better books. You have set up a great system that helps you read the books you want to read. And going for a walk everyday is definitely a habit. I don't feel right if I don't go for a walk.

      Delete
  9. Hi Gretchen! I think that is a really good reading challenge. Just read what you want, when you want.

    I am a summer person and I am enjoying the lovely summer weather we have here in SA at the moment a lot!

    I have read Reserved for Murder (you can find my review on my blog), but wish I have read the first one in the series too.

    Have a good week and enjoy your cooking, baking and reading.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mareli. I envy your summer weather. Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. Love that you are reaching for your reading goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your reading goals this year. I decided against challenges, too, and set a low goodreads goal - no pressure allowed! The Mozzarella Chicken Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes sounds really good... just bookmarked it to try later. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that lowering Goodreads goals is a theme this year as well as cutting back on challenges.

      Mozzarella Chicken Pasta is a favorite of ours. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. I love reading challenges. They help me to keep focused and read books I've been wanting to read. I'm trying to cut back on the number of ARCs I get, though. Those are starting to get to be too much for me.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved reading challenges for several years too. They are so fun. I just need to cut back this year. Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. Gretchen, I agree with you on Reading Challenges. I used to participate in so many but, it felt like a job and too the fun out spontaneous reading. Stay warm; it's cold here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I was feeling, Diane. Maybe another year I will pick more challenges up, but this year it just feels like work.

      Delete
  14. Same here, I sued to do tons of challenges. But getting old (11th year of book blogging), so focusing more on my TBR. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books, so little time...
      Have a good week Emma!

      Delete
  15. In the meantime are aircon has been running for 3 days straight because it’s so hot!

    Wishing you a great reading week and good luck with your goals for the year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are having the complete opposite weather of us!

      Have a good week!

      Delete
  16. It's nice to walk even on cold days. We had a two week stretch here where it was below 0 and awful. Luckily today will reach 40 and that will feel like Miami weather. Just have fun with your reading seems a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40 would feel like Miami weather! That is the positive thing about such cold weather, it makes the 20's seem balmy.

      Have a great week!

      Delete