Friday, December 31, 2021

December Reading Wrap-Up

 


Welcome to our winter wonderland.  December has had plenty of crazy weather.  We had a snowstorm that brought us over 12 inches of snow.  The following week our temperatures were in the 40's and 50's.  Then we had thunderstorms, tornados and high winds.  We were thankful that through it all we had no damage and our power didn't go out.  There were many in our area that had tress down and were without power on a very cold day.  The month is ending with some very cold weather with highs expected in the single digits.

As far as reading goes, I read 8 books. 

Here's the breakdown:

Nonfiction: 2
Suspense: 1
Classic: 1
Cozy Mystery: 2
Fiction: 2



Nonfiction:

The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery

The Road Back to You by Ian Morgan Cron & Suzanne Stabile - this was my introduction to the Enneagram personality type system.  It gave a thorough description of each type and included stories of people in the author's lives who fit the various types.  After reading the book I felt I had a good understanding of the system, but also realize that there is a lot more to learn.  

A Circle of Quiet (Crosswicks Journals, #1)

A Circle of Quiet (Crosswicks Journals #1) by Madeleine L'Engle - Writings taken from the author's journals during the time when her children were young and the family lived full-time an an old New England farmhouse. I really enjoyed this.



Suspense:

Dead Fall (The Quantico Files, #2)

Dead Fall (Quantico Files #2) by Nancy Mehl - The FBI's elite Behavioral Analysis Unit is called in to investigate one of the strangest cases they have ever dealt with.  The case involves the death of one of the cofounders of the BAU.  What makes it so strange is that his body was found in a locked room with no signs of forced entry.  When they realize members of the Behavioral Analysis Unit are being targeted, the pressure is on to stop the killer before one of their own becomes a victim.  This was a thrilling, fast-paced story.

Classic:

As You Like It

As You Like It by William Shakespeare - This was a fun read that was easy to follow.

Cozy Mystery:

Murder with Orange Pekoe Tea (A Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #7)

Murder with Orange Pekoe Tea (Daisy's Tea Garden #7) by Karen Rose Smith - A lawyer who was willing to take cases that many lawyers would not due to moral issues was found murdered.  Daisy begins asking questions to see what she can learn. The mystery was solid and kept me guessing until the end. And it is always fun to catch up with the characters in this series.

A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)

A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote #7) by Jessica Fletcher & Donald Bain - While Jessica is on vacation in the Hamptons, she gets involved in a murder investigation that doesn't at first glance appear to be a murder.  A young model collapses while poses for an art class.  The coroner says she died of heart failure.  Clearly, there is more to this story.  I always enjoy time spent in the company of Jessica Fletcher. 

Fiction:

Anxious People

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman - A bank robbery that goes wrong and turns into a hostage situation.  I had mixed feelings about this one.


The Midnight Library

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig - There is a place between life and death called the Midnight Library that allows you to explore what would have happened if you would have made different decisions in your life.  Nora Seed is the character we follow as she explores what could have been as she looks through her book of regrets.  This was just not the right book for me. 

Other things on the blog:

Year End Wrap Up Chat - where I answer some questions about my reading year


That is it for December.  I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

~ Gretchen




I am linking up with The Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up hosted by Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction and Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight. 


I'm also linking up with The Sunday Salon hosted by Deb @ Readerbuzz.







23 comments:

  1. Nice month of reading! I'm intrigued by the Midnight Library

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emma! I have read lots of good things about Midnight Library, just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this month will bring calmer weather your way. It looks like you read some great books this past month. I am hoping to read Anxious People at some point this year. I'm sorry The Midnight Library didn't work well for you. So many people loved that one. I did like it, but I felt like something was missing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. January is usually calmer, but colder so we will see. I hope you do get a chance to read Anxious People.

      Have a good January!

      Delete
  4. We've had a crazy roller coaster of weather here, almost wearing shorts a day or two. But today, the first of January, we're finally getting some real snow! And I have nowhere I have to be today so I'm excited to just sit home and relax and watch it come down. I always love the covers of cozy mysteries and their titles are usually fun as well, but I just can't get into them. So it is fun seeing them on other blogs! Have a great January!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having to go out when it is snowing and just watching it come down is the best! Cozy mysteries do have great covers and titles. Happy January!

      Delete
  5. I had mixed feeling about Anxious People, too. I also thought Midnight Library had more potential than it used. Happy New Year. My yearly wrap on through my Sunday Salon posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Anne! Thanks for stopping by. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. I have Midnight Library on my TBR pile but I have heard varying reviews of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard varying views too. I'm glad that I read it so I could form my own opinion.

      Delete
  7. I really do need to start with the Murder she Wrote book series. Loved the TV series! Anxious people are on my TBR list and next in line on my audio reading/listening list. I've enjoyed The Midnight Library. It's a book I will read again.

    Happy New Year!!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Murder, She Wrote series is so fun. I know many people have enjoyed The Midnight Library. I hope you enjoy Anxious People.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Yesterday it was 82 and today it's 42 and dropping. Crazy here, too.

    One of my friends read a lot of Madeleine L'Engle last year, but I've only read Wrinkle in Time (it is my #1 childhood favorite book).

    I'm glad you had a good reading month, Gretchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not read A Wrinkle in Time since I was a child. I definitely want to re-read it now.

    Have a good week, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only book you listed that I've read is Anxious People and I loved it! I'm going to add The Midnight Library to my list this year.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few Murder, She Wrote books but I haven't read them yet. They look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the Murder, She Wrote books. It is almost like watching an episode in a book in a good way.

      Delete
  12. I have not read any of these yet, but I am really excited to read Anxious People and Midnight Library, so I am glad you loved them! Also YIKES to the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we have plenty of snow and cold. I hope you enjoy Anxious People and Midnight Library.

      Delete
  13. Nice photo at top. We have really cold weather now ... below 0 for two weeks, eeekkk! At least we can stay inside and read ... I've heard mixed things about the Matt Haig novel ... and it sounds like you didn't care for it ... so perhaps I should skip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I had mixed feelings about The Midnight Library, whether to read or not. It was given to me as a gift, so I read it.

      Hope you are stying warm!

      Delete
  14. Yikes to your crazy weather and I'm happy you didn't lose power. I think climate change is going to bring more extreme weather this year too. I like the premise of Midnight Library and tried reading the excerpt, but decided this book isn't for me at least right now.

    ReplyDelete