Thursday, October 27, 2022

Book Review: Dracula by Bram Stoker

DraculaDracula. Bram Stoker. Everyman's Library (2010) (First published 1897). 386 pages. Genre: Classic.

First Lines: "Jonathan Harker's Journal. (Kept in shorthand). 3 May. Bistritz. - Left Munich at 8:35 p.m. on 1st May, arriving in Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late."

Summary:  Jonathan Harker is sent to Castle Dracula to conduct some business for the Count.  After arriving, he notices some strange things and begins noting them in his journal.  He feels as though he is a prisoner in the castle and wonders if his mind is playing tricks on him.  After finally escaping and returning home, he and four friends attempt to discover the mystery of the Count. 

My thoughts:  Dracula was so different than I expected it to be.  First of all, it is written entirely in journal entries, letters and newspaper clippings.  Second, it was a great quest story filled with some excellent characters.  I wouldn't classify it as a horror story like you might some of Stephen King's stories.  The atmosphere of the novel is gothic with the crumbling castle, unexplained sights and sounds, mist constantly rolling in, moonlight and the tricks it can play on our eyes.  There are definitely some creepy scenes and unexplained occurrences.  But mostly, it is a mystery where the characters are trying to discover what is causing illness in a friend and then tracking down the source of the trouble.  

Each of the characters had a specific role to play and I loved how they worked together, each using their strengths.  The main female character, Mina Harker, is kind, brave and very well organized.  Without her meticulous note keeping, the others would not have been able to solve the mystery.  The men are all brave and self-sacrificing, while also being deeply moved when someone they love is suffering. 

The book deals with themes of good vs. evil, sanity, bravery, duty, friendship, religion, superstition, science and mystery.  Dracula was very easy to read and I found myself unable to put it down at times.  I am so glad I finally read it. BUT, Dracula is not for everyone, so I can't say that I recommend it because it may not be right for you.

Quotes:

"Oh, Madam Mina, good women tell all their lives, and by day and by hour and by minute, such things that angels can read; and we men who wish to know have in us something of angel's eyes.  Your husband is noble nature, and you are noble too, for you trust, and trust cannot be where there is mean nature."

"Do you not think that there are things which you cannot understand, and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? But there are things old and new which must not be contemplate by men's eyes, because they know - or think they know- some things which other men have told them.  Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

"Beyond the green swelling hills of the Mittel land rose mighty slopes of forest up to the lofty steeps of the Carpathians themselves.  Right and left of us they towered, with the afternoon sun falling upon them and bringing out all the glorious colours of this beautiful range, deep blue and purple in the shadows of the peaks, green and brown where grass and rock mingled, and an endless perspective of jagged rock and pointed crags, till these themselves were lost in the distance, where the snowy peaks rose grandly."


14 comments:

  1. Oh my word! You read Dracula. I read it a couple of years ago and was very surprised. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be. That book intimidated me for years and I finally found my courage and read it. Nice review! Katies Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I was the same way - I avoided it for years and was quite surprised by what I read.

      Delete
  2. I've always found it interesting to read a book that's been "done to death" on film. Sometimes-- after being so familiar with what Hollywood's done to the story-- it can be difficult to recognize the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea it was an epistolary novel. I've never thought to give it a read, so your review was eye opening. Thanks.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrie, he fact that it was epistolary is what initially interested me.

      Delete
  4. It’s been years since I read Dracula, and although the first Dracula movie was 1931, I hadn’t seen any of them yet. So I was very impressed and I did find it scary! This is definitely the season for it!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there were lots of Dracula movies, but I had no idea the first was in 1931. I honestly have no desire to watch a movie based on Dracula as I am really not a fan of scary movies.

      Delete
  5. Great choice for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I have not read it either, but your descriptions are different from what I imagined as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! It was definitely different than I expected, but it is not for everyone.

      Delete
  7. What a surprise to see you reading this. It has been so overdone with everything from cereal to Sesame Street in addition to takeoffs that are closer to the original! I would never have thought of reading Dracula. You certainly make it sound interesting. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has definitely been overdone as well as misconstrued. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a quest novel in many ways similar to The Lord of the Rings where a group of people see it as their duty to destroy evil.

      Delete