Saturday, June 4, 2022

Book Review: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

The Wind in the WillowsThe Wind in the Willows.  Kenneth Grahame. Grosset & Dunlap (1967) (First published 1908). 228 pages. Genre: Classic.

First Line: "The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home."

Summary:  When Mole feels something up above calling to him, he leaves his underground home and discovers a world that was unknown to him.  He meets Rat, who lives on the river bank.  Rat introduces him to Toad and Badger.  The four friends have many adventures together. 

My thoughts:  The first time I read this was to my children when they were young.  We immediately were drawn into the story and fell in love with the four friends.  This time through was no different, except that I have lived longer and have more experience to draw from.  I still found the characters endearing and it is such a fun story full of adventure.

At its core, this is a story of friendship.  Rat immediately welcomes Mole into his world.  Rat is the kind of friend everyone needs.  He doesn't expect much, but is always ready to lend a hand.  

Mole is so enchanted with the world above ground, that he is eager to see and experience everything he can.  Even the dark and scary things.  However, he quickly sees the error of his ways and is eager to be a good friend.

Toad is constantly chasing the newest and shiniest technology.  He is addicted to the thrill of the machine - the faster, the better.  Unfortunately, he has the means to support his habit, but lacks the self-control to stop chasing these things, even when it leads to bodily harm or imprisonment. 

Badger can seem intimidating.  He is large and serious, but he is always ready to offer hospitality.  He doesn't grudge his friends for interrupting his winter nap when they need a place to stay and a hot meal.  

While this is considered a children's book, there is plenty in it for adults to enjoy.  The writing is beautiful and it touches on some serious topics.  There are parts of the book that remind me of The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia.  Other parts that are reminiscent of the Redwall series.  There are parts that are hilarious and other parts that are a little scary.  It is full of all the things that make a cozy British novel, such as walks in nature and descriptions of feasts around a table near a roaring fire.  However, to children it is just a story with great characters embarking on grand adventures.  It is a great book to read in the spring as that is when the book opens.  I highly recommend this classic.

Quotes:

"The Rat hummed a tune, and the Mole recollected that animal etiquette forbade any sort of comment on the sudden disappearance of one's friends at any moment, for any reason or no reason whatever."

"The Rat looked very grave, and stood deep in thought for a minute or two.  Then he re-entered the house, strapped a belt around his waist, shoved a brace of pistols into it, took up a stout cudgel that stood in a corner of the hall, and set off for the Wild Wood at a smart pace."

"'Who ever heard of a doormat telling anyone anything?  They simply don't do it.  They are not that sort at all.  Doormats know their place.'"

"Indeed, much that he related belonged more properly to the category of what-might-have-happened-had-I-only-thought-of-it-in-time-instead-of-ten-minutes-afterwards. Those are always the best and the raciest adventures; and why should they not be truly ours, as much as the somewhat inadequate things that really come off?"

12 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! It sounds wonderful! I've never read this book. I need to add it to my TBR list. Thanks so much for sharing. Katies Cottage Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do add it to your TBR! It's such a great read.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding me that I really need to read this book. When you see many, many mentions of it over the years, you know it's a classic. I'm still not sure why I didn't read it as a child...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised how many people didn't read it as a child. Somehow it gets overlooked.

      Delete
  3. I remember reading this one to my kids as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing a cartoon version of this when I was a child, and reading it to my daughter. But my memories are indistinct. It’s neat that you are reading and reviewing classics.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to reread this, since, like you, some of my memories of it had faded.

      Delete
  5. I never heard of this. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gretchen, I enjoyed reading your review so much! It took me back to my first reading of this classic in 2021 before you started reading my blog. I have been amazed at the similarities in our tastes. Your descriptions of the characters are great, and I love your quotes. There are so many good ones to choose from in this book! If you want to read my review, I put in the link:
    https://educationadvocateblog.wordpress.com/2021/01/21/the-wind-in-the-willows-endearing-childrens-classic-for-all-ages/
    (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm heading over to read your review!

      Delete