Thursday, May 26, 2022

Book Review: Emma by Jane Austen

EmmaEmma. Jane Austen. Penguin (2003) (First published 1815). 474 pages. Genre: Classic.

First Line: "Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her."

Summary:  Emma Woodhouse lives with her indulgent father where she is mistress of the house due to the death of her mother many years ago.  Until recently, Emma had the constant companionship of her governess, Miss Taylor.  However, Miss Taylor has recently wed and ceased the office of governess.  Emma's older sister, Isabella, is also happily married and the mother of several young children.  Mr. Woodhouse especially laments the marriage of Miss Taylor and the loneliness it has left them with.  

Emma endeavors to make the best of the situation and sets about amusing herself by making matches amongst her friends.  After all, it was she who made the match between Mr. Weston and Miss Taylor.  Before long however, she feels the sting of having led someone toward a match that was not the right one.  Will Emma amend her ways and become the thoughtful woman she was raised to be or has she gone too far? 

My thoughts:  This was my first time reading Emma and I admit, I did not like her very much at first.  Emma Woodhouse seemed to be a silly young woman who thought she knew best.  I guess at first she was.  Even so, she seemed to be well liked by those who knew her.  She is feeling a little low after the wedding of her beloved Miss Taylor, but she does her best to encourage her father in his loneliness.  

She soon attaches herself to Harriet Smith, a young girl who attends the boarding school run by Mrs. Goddard.  As Emma has determined to never marry, she finds entertainment in making matches of others.  Harriet's manners are not so refined as Emma's, so Emma takes her under her wing.  When Harriet receives a proposal from a local man, Emma sets out to convince Harriet it is not a proper match for her.  It was at this point that I was really irritated with Emma.  But, that was the whole point.  Jane Austen shows so plainly the type of person Emma is.  Things don't go well and Harriet is hurt.  Emma sees the error of her ways and resolves to change them.  However, change doesn't happen overnight and Emma will make more mistakes before she is truly changed.  Her willingness to change and her ability to see the error of her ways made me begin to like her a bit more.

This is a novel about love, friendship, family and manners.  Jane Austen creates characters with such depth.  Each of the supporting characters are interesting and deep.  I also really enjoyed her nature descriptions.  She makes you feel like you are there in the sunshine or in the dullness and dreariness of a rainy day in spring. 

 By the end of the novel, I really liked Emma Woodhouse am glad I took the time to get to know her. 

Quotes:

"Men of sense, whatever you may chuse (choose) to say, do not want silly wives."

"The ground covered with snow, and the atmosphere in that unsettled state between frost and thaw, which is of all others the most unfriendly for exercise, every morning beginning in rain or snow, and every evening setting in to freeze, she was for many days a most honourable prisoner."

"Human nature is so well disposed towards those who are in interesting situations, that a young person, who either marries or dies, is sure of being kindly spoken of."

"The ladies here probably exchanged looks which meant, 'Men never know when things are dirty or not;' and the gentlemen perhaps thought each to himself, 'Women will have their little nonsenses and needless cares.'"

"'Ah! There is nothing like staying home for real comfort.'"

11 comments:

  1. Austen has long been one of my favorite writers. What she does with characters is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I read Austen, the more I like her.

      Delete
  2. I didn't like Emma when I first met her either, but as the story progresses, she did grow on me. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Jane Austen got her readers to see just what we were supposed to see about Emma I think.

      Delete
  3. I have this one on my Kindle. I've only read one Austen and this is next on my list, but I don't know when I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to read Austen.

      Delete
  4. I read Pride and Prejudice this year with my book club and realized there are others of Austen's books that I have not read. Emma is one of them. Your review will arm me to persevere even if I don't like Emma initially. I'm glad you enjoyed it; I'll add it to my list. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Linda! Definitely persevere, it is worth it.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad Emma comes around. Did you see the new Emma movie from 2020? I haven't seen the full thing yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of the Emma movies. I've heard good things about that one though.

      Delete
  6. Great review, Gretchen. I do think I will eventually give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete