Monday, March 21, 2022

Book Review: For Such A Time As This by Kayleigh McEnany

For Such a Time as This: My Faith Journey through the White House and BeyondFor Such A Time As This: My Faith Journey Through The White House And Beyond. Kayleigh McEnany. Post Hill Press (2021). 256 pages. Genre: Non-fiction, Memoir.

First Line: "Beams of sunlight poured through the shutters of my bedroom window."

Summary: Kayleigh McEnany gives the reader a glimpse into her time spent as Press Secretary for Former President Donald Trump.  Along the way we learn about the path she took to get there, how this role affected her personal life and how faith carried her through every circumstance. 

My thoughts:  Memoir is my favorite type of non-fiction book.  One of the things I enjoy about memoirs is that they are often full of daily details that might get left out of a biography.  For Such A Time As This was just such a book.

Before reading this book I knew very little about Kayleigh McEnany.  I admire her diligence and her dedication to what is important.  It was fascinating to see the inner workings of the White House.  I gained a deeper understanding for the time, dedication and sacrifice every member of the President's staff must give.  While this is Kayleigh's story, she spent much of the book shining a light on those around her, pointing out how they helped her or sacrificed for others.  

I really appreciated the way Kayleigh shared the struggles she faced in being a wife, mother and White House Press Secretary.  Even though she loved her job and took it very seriously, she often shed tears when leaving her daughter whether for a week or a day.  She was fortunate to have a mother who was willing and able to help her out.  She also highlights the way the President and White House staff emphasized the importance of family and gave her flexibility.  

As a Christian woman, Kayleigh's faith comes through on every page.  In most chapters she shares a situation, either in her work or personal life, where she relied on her faith.  I found this encouraging and refreshing. 

The Acknowledgements pages at the end of the book give further testimony to the type of person Kayleigh is.  I don't think I have ever read a book containing nine pages of Acknowledgements!  Each one was very personal and specific and I am sure let each person know what they meant to her.  

If you enjoy memoirs, especially those of Christian women, or are curious about the inner workings of the White House, I recommend this book.  

Quotes:

"If we all endeavored to recognize loss wherever it occurs, rather than taking sides, we would be far better off."

"I believe God wants everyone to embrace an Esther-like outlook.  You are sitting where you are sitting geographically, professionally, and personally for a reason.  God wants you to fulfill His purpose.  He has great plans and a solemn mission for all of us to further His kingdom."





4 comments:

  1. This book sounds very good. Great review. I will be adding it to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great read. I hope you enjoy it Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of Esther so I am interested that she views her life in that way. "If we all endeavored to recognize loss wherever it occurs, rather than taking sides, we would be far better off." That is the perfect quote especially for the last several years and now when we are so divided. Thank you for sharing your review. I'm looking forward to reading it--on the list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the story of Esther and was interested to hear the rest of the story in regards to how she viewed her life like Esther. She has an amazing amount of insight. I hope you enjoy the book when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete