First Line: "A few years ago, I'd wake up every morning, check the headlines on my phone, and feel as if the world had gotten dumber and meaner overnight."
Summary: Motivation to stay creative in ten different ways.
My thoughts: I don't think of myself as an artist, but I do create things. We all do, whether we fix a meal, organize a closet, decorate a room, write a book review or paint a picture. I think staying creative is more difficult than it used to be before we had so many digital things to distract us. This book shows the reader how to stay focused and motivated so that your creativity can flourish.
Here are a few things I took away from this book:
1. "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." - Annie Dillard
2. Establish a daily routine.
3. Just because you do something well, doesn't mean you need to monetize it.
4. Take daily walks.
5. Pay attention, look around, notice things.
6. Read old books.
7. Keep a diary.
8. Tidying up can be a way for our brain to rest.
9. Observe the seasons in nature.
None of these things were new to me, however, it was good to be reminded of them in a unique way. Austin Kleon is an artist and writer who reads widely and that always comes through in his books. His books are a combination of his writing and art and usually contain lots of quotes. If you feel stuck and need some motivation, give this book a try.
You can find Austin Kleon online at austinkleon.com. He posts thoughtful articles, some of his art and pictures of pages from his diaries.