Thursday, February 16, 2023

Book Review: Death Threads by Elizabeth Lynn Casey

 


Death Threads (Southern Sewing Circle #2). Elizabeth Lynn Casey. Berkely Prime Crime (2010). 280 pages. Genre: Cozy Mystery.

First Line:  "Tori Sinclair had always prided herself on being a relatively calm person - the kind of woman who kept a cool head and a professional demeanor at all times."

Summary:  Local author and husband of one of the members of the Sweet Briar Ladies Society Sewing Circle, Colby Calhoun, has come upon some information that is going to make people angry.  Colby could decide to keep the information to himself, but as a writer he feels it is his duty to get the truth out.  When his article is published in the local paper, not only is Colby ostracized, but so are his wife and children.  

Then Colby disappears and all that is left behind is a note written in crayon and a trail of blood.  The sheriff begins his investigation, but keeps coming up empty handed.  There are plenty of people who had a motive, but he can't seem to find anyone who had opportunity.  As the days pass with no new leads, Tori feels compelled to do something to help her friend.  

My thoughts:  Death Threads picks up just six months after Sew Deadly and is a great follow up.  Tori Sinclair is feeling more a part of Sweet Briar.  Having moved from Chicago, it has taken a while for some of the members of the town to accept her.  

Tori loves her job at the local library and continues to find ways to improve their services for the residents of the area.  This time she has come up with a project the sewing circle can work on that will help members of a local nursing home.  I enjoy the characters who make up the sewing circle.  They each add something to the story and many of them make me chuckle.  Some of them are quick to gossip, others keep them in line.  In the end they all have big hearts that are willing to help others.

The mystery was unique - murder was presumed, but no body was found.  This added an extra element to the investigation that was interesting.  I had an inkling what was going on, but there were some twists that added surprise and kept me guessing.  

I liked the way the mystery wrapped up.  The author set the stage for the next installment, which I look forward to reading soon.  If you enjoy cozy mysteries, southern fiction or sewing, you might like this series.  Some sewing patterns and tips are included at the end of the book.

Quotes:

"'It was despicable,' Rose interrupted firmly, 'because you let your replaced hormones run amuck in favor of your friendship with Victoria.'"

"'Anyone who's spent more than two seconds with your kids knows they're rare - respectful, creative, and loved.'"

Other books in this series:

1. Sew Deadly

8 comments:

  1. Great review! I like cozy mysteries. They are such fun and this sounds like a good one. Murder and no body. Intriguing. Katies Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is everything I enjoy in a cozy mystery series.

      Delete
  2. Great review, I added the first one to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a fun cozy mystery series. I like that the members of the sewing circle self-regulate the gossipers. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed out loud at the first quote - 😂🤣😂. This sounds like a fun read!! My TBR pile is getting so long, I have no possible hope of reading them all. But you know what? I am ok with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine, I laughed out loud at it too 😁. I feel your TBR pain.

      Delete