Thursday, February 2, 2023

Book Review: Alaskan Sanctuary by Teri Wilson

 


Alaskan Sanctuary (Alaskan Wilderness #5). Teri Wilson. Love Inspired (2015). 217 pages. Genre: Contemporary Romance, Christian Fiction.

First Line: "'Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?'"

Summary (Goodreads): Piper Quinn is fighting for the future of her wolf sanctuary. A painful childhood has taught her to be more comfortable with animals than humans—especially the beautiful wolves of Aurora, Alaska. So when reporter Ethan Hale arrives to cover her struggling shelter—and deems the wolves a danger to the community—she's ready to prove him wrong. A former park ranger, Ethan's seen just enough tragedy to support his claim. Soon their difference of opinion is front-page news. And Piper and Ethan must reconcile their opposing views with their stubborn hearts that are quickly finding refuge in each other.

My thoughts:  Often when I go on vacation, I like to take books that have been sitting on my shelf for a while.  Alaskan Sanctuary met the criteria and sounded intriguing.  What I didn't realize until after I read the book, is that it is the final book in a series.  However, I never felt like I was missing anything during my reading.  Looking into the series a little more revealed that all the books take place in Alaska, but have different characters and scenarios.  

My interest was peaked from the very first page and I don't mean the first page of the story.  The author dedicated the book to the people and wolves at the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center and went on to thank them in her acknowledgements.  That told me the author had done some research on wolves and I was in for a learning adventure.  I was not disappointed.

Piper Quinn has developed a heart for wolves and is working hard to find funding for her wolf sanctuary.  She has two wolves living in the sanctuary and has become friends with them.  If that sounds a little frightening to you, I understand, I felt the same way.  However, the author did a wonderful job of informing the reader about these magnificent animals and their habits and she did it all in a natural way through the main character's thoughts and dialogue with others. I liked Piper.  She is a lonely soul who has been hurt and is afraid to open up to others.  She has a big heart and has found solace in caring for the wolves.  

I wasn't sure what to think of Ethan Hale at first.  But as the story went on and we learned something about his past, I warmed up to him.  He is a man dealing with past pain that is informing the decisions he is making in the present.  I didn't blame Piper for not trusting him.  

There is a lot to work through when Ethan's article comes out and makes the wolf sanctuary seem like a danger to society.  Ethan soon realizes that he was hasty in his assessment of what Piper is doing and hopes to do with the sanctuary and amends need to be made.  There was also a mystery to solve and a bit of suspense.  

I thoroughly enjoyed this story set in Alaska.  I'm not sure I will go back and read the other books in the series, but I will definitely look for more books by Teri Wilson.

Quotes:

"She was consciously aware of the fact that she spent the majority of her time with wolves.  For the most part, she preferred it that way.  Wolves were easier to understand than most people.  Wolves had an organized, predictable social structure.  You knew where you stood with wolves.  Wolves didn't lie.  And they didn't keep secrets.  Not that they were particularly noble.  Like other animals, they were simply incapable of deception."

"The crisp morning air swirled with snowflakes as she led him down the path toward the wolf enclosures, their footsteps muffled by a blanket of pine needles." 

"Snow drifted down from a sky the color of glaciers in springtime and surrounded them in a feathery embrace.  The wind whispered through the lonely forest, and it sounded almost like a sigh. "

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow! A wolf sanctuary. How wonderful. In October Rick and I visited a wolf center in Minnesota. Another book for my TBR pile. Thanks for the great review! Katies Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kathy! That must have been amazing to visit a wolf center. They are such amazing animals - frightening and awe-inspiring at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Excellent review, Gretchen! I enjoy books set in Alaska too! I also like reading the Love Inspired stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good review. I like "traveling" by books and Alaska sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I enjoy traveling by books too.

      Delete
  4. I think I would like this one because it deals with animals. I'm glad to hear that you can read it without reading the previous ones. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Yvonne! I think you would like it too.

      Delete
  5. This sounds good, and not realizing it was the last book in the series is something I might do. I'm glad in this case it didn't matter. I agree that the author's research for this book is valuable to the reader. I like learning things through osmosis and this would fit the bill. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my favorite way to learn things too, Linda! This book would fit the bill.

      Delete