Thursday, December 15, 2022

Book Review: Anne of Windy Poplars by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables #4)Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables #4). L. M. Montgomery. Bantam Books (1981) (First published 1936). 258 pages. Genre: Classic.

First Lines: "(Letter from Anne Shirley, B.A., Principal of Summerside High School, to Gilbert Blythe, medical student at Redmond College, Kingsport.) Windy Poplars, Spook's Lane, S'side, P.E.I., Monday September 12th. Dearest: Isn't that an address! Did you ever hear anything so delicious?"

Summary:  Anne has taken a job in Summerside, away from Green Gables.  As she settles in at Windy Poplars, she discovers that the Pringle family runs the town.  And it seems as though everyone is related to a Pringle somehow.  Unfortunately, Anne is not the Principal the Pringle family wanted.  However, Anne is determined to win their favor.  In typical Anne-fashion, she not only wins their favor, but the favor of many others in the town.  

My thoughts:  This book is told partially in letters written by Anne to Gilbert who is attending medical school.  When it is not told by Anne in a letter, a narrator takes over.  

The story is primarily about the characters that populate Summerside and Anne's dealings with them.  I always enjoy the way Anne persists in setting things right.  She doesn't give up on someone just because they don't treat her right, she persists in making them her friend or putting her foot down and ordering them to do the right thing. 

One of my favorite characters in the book was the housekeeper at Windy Poplars, Rebecca Dew.  She is a bit rough around the edges, but soft in the middle.  She doesn't "suffer fools" as Anne remarked.  But she takes good care of Anne and the widows.  

"Rebecca Dew says cards are the devil's books and novels even worse.  The only things Rebecca ever reads, apart from her Bible, are the society columns of the Montreal Guardian.  She loves to pore over the house and furniture and doings of the millionaires."

"And I am sure Rebecca Dew thinks that no Christian woman should try to be beautiful."

"But she's really an old duck.  She has produced from somewhere a comfortable old wing chair of faded brocade that just fits my kinks and says, 'This is your chair.  We'll keep it for you.' And she won't let Dusty Miller sleep on it lest I get hairs on my school skirt and give the Pringles something to talk about."

This was an enjoyable read and a nice addition to the series. 

More quotes:

"Last night I had such a lovely walk with myself.  I really had to go somewhere for it was just a trifle dismal at Windy Poplars.  Aunt Chatty was crying in the sitting-room because her feelings had been hurt and Aunt Kate was crying in her bedroom because it was the anniversary of Captain Amasa's death and Rebecca Dew was crying in the kitchen for no reason that I could discover."

"'Too old!  Of course you're not too old, dearest,' I assured her.  'Nobody is ever too old to wear just what she wants to wear.  You wouldn't want to wear it if you were too old.'"

10 comments:

  1. I love the Anne books. Enjoy! Katies Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing this series pop up and I think I want to reread it. I remember loving it and wonder if I would still enjoy it now. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - this is my first time reading this far in the series. It has been a delight.

      Delete
  3. You inspire me to write down more quotes! ~Carol @ Reading Ladies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read past Anne of Green Gables - maybe I should continue the series.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, it is worth reading more. The first one is definitely my favorite, but I have enjoyed each of the others.

      Delete
  5. I thought I had read all of the Anne books, but I'm sure I haven't read this one. In fact, when I went to Gutenberg Press to see if there is a free copy available there (there isn't), I found many that I probably have not read. L. M. Montgomery also wrote a lot of short stories. Good review, Gretchen. I think I would like this one. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has written more books than I realized. I think this one is available as an audio book on Hoopla if that is available to you.

      Delete