Thursday, June 23, 2022

What I've Been Reading Lately

 



Summer has finally arrived!  We went from very cool temperatures to hot and humid.  We have been fortunate to not have many storms with these drastic changes in the weather.  My flowers were not growing much while the weather was cool, but now that it has warmed up they are blooming like crazy.  We planted a vegetable garden this year and it is finally taking off, but so are the weeds!

We will be doing some traveling this week to attend a wedding in the St. Louis area.  After we return, we have some relatives coming to visit us.  It is so good to gather with friends and family.  Things will be quiet around my blog for a few weeks, so I thought I would share some things I have been reading.

Free Fall (The Quantico Files, #3)

This is the third book in the Quantico Files series.  Alex Donovan and Logan Hart are behavioral analysts working for the FBI at Quantico.  They are working on writing up a profile for a missing woman.  After a little investigation, they discover that several women matching this woman's physical description have gone missing.  With very little information to go on and a race against the clock, Alex and Logan try to put the pieces together and rescue the missing women.  

As is often the case when a criminal has committed multiple crimes, the subject matter is dark.  However, Nancy Mehl does a great job of not letting the darkness overwhelm the story.  Throughout the story several of the characters grow in their faith as they try to make sense of what is going on.  The suspense kept me turning the pages to find out what was going to happen.  

Stillmeadow Calendar: A Countrywoman's Journal

Most of Gladys Taber's books are written by the month and this one is no exception.  Stillmeadow is her country home in Connecticut.  She writes about nature, cooking, gardening, homemaking and enjoying time with friends and family.  I am reading this month by month, so I am reading the June chapter currently.  I always enjoy her books. 

"Of course summer officially begins on June 21, at 3:57 a.m., but somehow the seasons seldom go according to the calendar.  Nature follows her own plan as the earth turns.  Now, as she casts her spell, daisies open their innocent eyes and gaze out across the fields at the roses cascading over fences."

In other news, the Blue Angels visited our town recently and I was able to catch their performance.  Our community hosts an air show every other year.  It has been several years since the last one was held due to COVID.  We live a mile or two from the local airport and get the opportunity to see the jets flying over our house as they practice for two days leading up to the show.  It is so much fun and I always stop what I am doing to watch them.  Here are a few pictures:







I hope you are all having a great summer and finding lots of time for reading.  I will still be visiting your blogs, but won't be posting much here for a little while.  See you soon!

~ Gretchen


8 comments:

  1. Safe travels my friend! Have a great time! Your photos are great! Katies Cottage Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels, Gretchen. Enjoy your friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! I plan to enjoy our time away. (Gretchen)

      Delete
  3. Have fun on your travels. The Blue Angels must be amazing to watch. Like the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! The Blue Angels are amazing, I always look forward to seeing them. (Gretchen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretchen, these two books sound very interesting in different ways. I like mysteries and I am intrigued by Stillmeadow Calendar. Your quote indicates good writing and I like the idea of a monthly read. I hope you have a wonderful time visiting with family and friends. (lghiggins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Gladys Taber's writing is quite good. I love the details of daily living. I am enjoying reading from this book.

      Delete