Monday, May 2, 2022

Book Review: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)The Silver Chair (The Chronicles of Narnia #4). C. S. Lewis. Harpercollins (2008) (First published 1953). 243 pages. Genre: Classic.

First Line: "It was a dull autumn day and Jill Pole was crying behind the gym."

Summary:  Jill Pole and Eustace Scrubb are called to Narnia to find the lost prince. 

My thoughts:  I find myself liking Eustace more and more.  He really has become a much better person.  This story starts with him coming alongside Jill after she has been bullied.  He treats her with respect and kindness.  

Jill is also a very likeable person.  She notices that Eustace is different than he used to be.  When she asks him about it, he tells her about Narnia.  Rather than making fun of him she is interested.  After the two of them are called into Narnia, Jill makes a mistake.  This mistake causes possible harm to Eustace.  She immediately sees her mistake for what it was and is sorry.  She eventually does get the chance to apologize, but not for a while.  I respected her for admitting her mistake plainly without trying to make excuses.  And accepting the consequences. 

Aslan gives Jill four signs to guide their quest to find the lost prince.  I really liked how this played out in their journey.  The most important thing she had to do was remember them.  This turned out to be much harder than it seemed. 

Some of the memorable characters from this story are Glimfeather, the owl, Puddleglum, the Marshwiggle, The Lady of the Green Kirtle and Prince Rilian.  

Puddleglum is a Narnian Marshwiggle who accompanies Jill and Eustace on their journey.  He is an Eeyore-like character, always expecting the worst to happen.  But, underneath all that, he is a wise follower of Aslan.  

I really enjoyed The Silver Chair.  I think aside from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, this is my favorite in the series. 


6 comments:

  1. NARNIA! I love The Chronicles of Narnia! I should read them again. I haven't read them in a while. Glad you enjoyed The Silver Chair.😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a reread for me also. I'm enjoying them in a different way this time around.

      Delete
  2. It was so fun to take a trip back to Narnia in your review. I read The Silver Chair this year for the first time with my book group. It was so funny because one lady in the group, who had had already read all of them, said for each one in turn that she was so excited to read it because it was maybe her favorite. Actually, having read them all now, I can see what she means. I just found all of them delightful! I can understand also your saying that you enjoyed rereading it, getting something different out of it this time. C. S. Lewis' books are like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment was submitted by Linda (lghiggins). I expected to add that during one of my many efforts to have my comment accepted, but this time it went right through without even doing its reCAPTCHA quiz. I was quite surprised! I hope you are having a great week, Gretchen.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Linda! C.S. Lewis was such a great writer in so many ways. I am looking forward to reading each book in this series.

      Delete