Friday, March 4, 2022

Book Review: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

The Voyage of the “Dawn Treader” (The Chronicles of Narnia, #3)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia). C.S. Lewis. Macmillan Publishing (1970) (First published 1952). 216 pages. Genre: Children's Fiction.

First Line: "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

Summary:  Edmund and Lucy Pevensey are spending the summer at the home of their relatives, the Scrubbs.  Eustace Scrubb is their cousin and he is a rather difficult boy to be around. One afternoon, Edmund and Lucy were sitting in her bedroom talking about Narnia.  Eustace thinks all their talk about Narnia is silly.  When he enters the room he begins teasing them.  Soon they are all looking at the picture on the wall.  It is a picture of a ship at sea.  But something is different about this picture.  It seems that they can actually see the waves moving and feel the sea spray on their faces.  Suddenly, they are in the water inside the picture.  

They have once again entered Narnia.  The ship belongs to King Caspian who is sailing in search of seven friends of his father's that his Uncle Miraz got rid of by sending them to explore the unknown Eastern Seas.  They are welcomed on board and reunited with old friends.  Edmund, Lucy and Eustace will join them on their voyage to find the lost men.  Along the way they will encounter danger, meet some interesting creatures and discover long lost secrets.

My thoughts:  When I read these books as a child, I usually identified with Susan.  I think because I was the oldest girl in my family.  Of course, Peter and Susan are now too old to visit Narnia, so they are only mentioned in this book.  I am finding that I am now relating more to the difficult people in the stories.  In this one that is Eustace.  

He grumbles and complains.  He doesn't like it when things are different.  He has no sense of adventure.  There are times when I feel exactly like that.  I really love the way C.S. Lewis portrays his metamorphosis.  I don't want to say too much in case you haven't read the book.  I'll just say it is very fitting.  When he returns to our world, he returns a better person.

A sea-faring adventure is always a lot of fun and this was no exception.  Traveling by sea allows the characters to encounter many different types of places and meet creatures they didn't know existed.  But also, we got to spend time with some characters we already know such as Reepicheep.  For such a small creature, he has such a large sense of duty.  He is also quite brave and often annoying.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a magical read full of adventure, danger, nobility and fun.  


14 comments:

  1. It can be very interesting to see how one's viewpoint changes when re-reading books at an older age. I know that's happened several times to me, although I do very little re-reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also do very little re-reading, but I find when I do I always pick up something new.

      Delete
  2. I love the Chronicle of Narnia. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! The Chronicles of Narnia are wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I am one of those rare people who don't read a lot of fantasy/allegorical stuff. I did listen to this with my kids and found it interesting, but not enough I would pick up the book to actually read it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, Cindy. I do not read much fantasy myself. Probably if I had not come to love the series when I was young, I may not choose to pick them up now.

      Delete
  4. Recently, I watched the movie for the first time, and I've never read the Narnia books. You make me think maybe I waited too long.

    best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Narnia books can truly be enjoyed by any age group. I loved how the movies stuck closely to the books. I look forward to hearing what you think if you give them a try.

      Delete
  5. You've got to love C.S Lewis. I haven't read this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only read Book 1 about Narnia long ago, but you make Book 3 sound very appealing, particularly because it's a sea adventure .... and who doesn't love a sea adventure? A nice reread for you it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I love about this series is that each book has a different setting. Even if they are all in Narnia, they are at different places or times.

      Delete
  7. I like your description of the changes in Eustace as "metamorphosis." Perfect. It is a great example of what God can do in our lives. I would never have thought, along with Edmund and Lucy, that I could like Eustace, "but God..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It is such a great example and reminder of what God can do in our lives.

      Delete