Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Hummingbird & Bee Balm

Photo by James Wainscoat

One bird I see often in our yard in the late summer is the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.  

Stan Tekiela, in his Birds of Wisconsin Field Guide says this of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird:

"The smallest bird in Wisconsin.  Able to hover, fly up and down, and is the only bird to fly backward.  Does not sing, but will chatter or buzz to communicate.  The wings create a humming noise, flapping 50-60 times each second or faster during chasing flights.  The heart pumps an incredible 1,260 beats per minute, and it breathes 250 times per minute.  Weighing just 2-3 grams, it takes about five average-sized hummingbirds to equal the weight of one chickadee.  Constructs its nest with plant material and spider webs, gluing pieces of lichen on the outside for camouflage.  Attracted to tubular red flowers."




This morning we had a brief rain shower and then the sun came out again.  I can see these Bee Balm flowers from my kitchen window.  I was washing dishes when I spied a hummingbird at the flowers.


I watched for several minutes while the bird stuck its beak into every single one of these flowers.  I had never seen one do that before.  Maybe it was because of the rain on them, I am not sure.  It was enthralling to watch and I was thankful I had been looking out just then.  While these are not red tubular flowers, I often see hummingbirds at these flowers and the tubular lavender flowers of our Hosta plants.

Wishing you a joyful day,
Gretchen

Male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird Click on image for higher resolution copy. Description from pinterest.com. I searched for this on bing.com/images

No comments:

Post a Comment